一、名稱：依教育部核定為「國立陽明交通大學醫學生物技術暨檢驗學系碩士班」（以下簡稱本所）英文（Department of Biotechnology and Laboratory Science in Medicine, MS program, National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University）。
Requirements for the Master Program
Requirements for the Master Program of Department of Biotechnology and Laboratory Science in Medicine, National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University
Revised and Passed at Department Affairs Meeting on March 21, 2023
- The name of the Department was approved by Ministry of Education as “國立陽明交通大學醫學生物技術暨檢驗學系” (hereinafter referred to as the Department), or as Department of Biotechnology and Laboratory Science in Medicine, National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University, in English.
- Please refer to the Admissions Handbook for current academic year about the entrance examinations and the related regulations.
- Registration and Enrollment for New Students:
- The administration of registration and enrollment for new students shall refer to the Admissions Handbook for current academic year, notices of admission and registration, and other related regulations of NYCU.
- Admitted graduate students shall personally attend school for registration on the designated date, fill out the affidavit, and submit the diplomas before the prescribed deadline. Admissions will be revoked for those who fail to submit the diplomas on time or did not complete the registration without justifiable reasons and receiving the approval of postponement.
- If any document provided by a new student is found to be false upon verification, the registered student status shall be deprived.
- Compulsory courses (Advanced Medical Biotechnology, Biotechnology in Biomedical Industry, Research Ethics)
- The required elective course (Seminar)
- Elective courses (course selection shall be according to the course schedule for current semester announced by Office of Academic Affairs, NYCU)
- Course selection or addition/removal shall be administered according to the NYCU Academic Regulations and relevant rules.
- Courses of Bioinformatics and Structural Biology Program shall be administered according to the related Study Regulations for Program.
- Limited Duration of Study and Credits
- The study duration for master’s program is limited in one to four years.
- Students enrolled in master’s program shall complete at least 24 credits, including the compulsory courses designated by the Department.
- The above-mentioned credits exclude the 6 credits for a master’s thesis for master’s program.
- Subject Examinations and Grades
- Subject examinations are divided into the results of tests/quizzes, midterm examination and end-of-term examination. Tests/quizzes can be taken at any time designated by the instructor. The midterm examination shall be held at any form by the instructor during the identified period in the calendar. The end-of-term examination shall be held according to the announced schedule, which is preliminarily arranged by the Department for the date and location during the identified period in the calendar and then submitted to the Academic Affairs for announcement.
- The final semester grade for each course shall be filled a transcript out by the respective instructors within two weeks after the end-of-term examination, which will be then submitted to the Academic Affairs for registration.
- If a teacher requests to alter the original grade due to mistakes or omissions, a written form of alteration application with relevant supporting information shall be submitted. After being reviewed by the Chair of the Department, reconfirmed by the Dean of the College of Biomedical Science and Engineering, and approved by the Dean of the Academic Affairs, it will be corrected in advance. This shall be ratified in the subsequent semester at the Academic Affairs Meeting.
- Graduate students are evaluated on a percentage scale of 0 to 100 points for academic performance, with 100 as the highest grade and 70 as the lowest passing grade. The conduct is scored by grade, a grade of B is deemed as pass.
- There’s no remedial (make-up) examination for a failed course, and the credit will not be counted. A failed course that is required for graduation shall be retaken but no more than once.
- For those who are unable to take the examination as scheduled due to official business, illness or serious accidents, please refer to the relevant regulations of NYCU.
- Thesis Advising:
The Department will found a Thesis Advisory Committee for each student of master’s degree program.
After a graduate student determines the advisor, the Thesis Advisory Committee will be founded, consisting of two to four members recommended by the advisor. The background of members shall be equal to or rank above Assistant Professor or Assistant Research Fellow in teaching or research field. The advisor is responsible for acting as the convener of the committee, and shall give advice to the graduate student for both studies and research, including writing instruction for thesis.
The Thesis Advisory Committee meets at least once per six months for learning progress review of a graduate student, and the executive summary shall be sent to the chair of the Department for documentation and reference.
- A Thesis Advisor:
A thesis advisor for a graduate student shall be equal to or rank above Assistant Professor or Adjunct Assistant Professor serving in the Department. The responsibilities are as follows:
- Be responsible for mentoring studies, including course selection, reading, research and experiments, and writing a thesis, of all semesters.
- Attend all review meeting related to the supervised student.
- Master’s Degree Examination/Thesis Defense:
- Master’s candidates shall submit the application form with a transcript of all semesters to the Department for the application of master’s degree examination before the deadline identified in the calendar of NYCU. After being reviewed by the thesis advisor and the chair of the Department, these application documents accompanied by the list of committee members will be processed by the Office of Academic Affairs.
- Degree Defense Committee Members:
- The number of degree defense committee members shall be three to five, and one of them shall act as the convener. The thesis advisor shall not act as the convener.
- The requirements for master’s degree defense committee members shall be administered according to the Article 6 of NYCU Regulations for Conferral of Graduate Degrees.
- Approved master’s degree defense committee members are not allowed for arbitrary change after documentation.
- Writing a First Draft of the Thesis:
The first draft shall be written in accordance with the prescribed format, and it shall be printed and submitted to the defense committee members within two weeks before the degree defense after being reviewed and approved by the advisor. The required number of copies depends on the number of the degree defense committee members.
- Thesis Defense:
- All members of the defense committee must attend the committee meeting in person, and are prohibited from appointing other persons as their proxies. The degree defense shall be attended by inclusive of or more than two-thirds of the members. There should be at least three members are present at the master’s degree defense committee meeting.
- The defense grade shall be determined by the average of the grades given by the attending members of the defense committee. If at least half of the members have given failing grades, the degree defense grade shall be deemed as failing.
- The passing grade for the defense shall be B- (70/100), with A+ (100/100) as the maximum grade. A score of 100 is identified as a full mark, and a score of 70 shall be passing grade for the defense.
- Students who fail the defense may retake the defense prior to the expiration of their study periods, no more than once, and shall be expelled from the master’s program upon failing the second degree defense. To retake the defense, applicants within their study periods shall submit the application form during the period identified in the calendar. The second degree defense is allowed to be held after being approved by the advisor, the Chair of the Department, and the Dean of the Academic Affairs.
- Graduation and School Leaving Procedure
- After passing the thesis defense, the manuscript shall be revised according to the suggestions recommended by the defense committee members, or a reasonable explanation should be given for the part cannot be revised. It can be the final draft after being reviewed and approved by the advisor, and then every defense committee member can sign the Thesis Approval Form.
- The final version of the thesis should be printed according to the format requirements formulated by the Ministry of Education. Please prepare four hardcover copies of the thesis, with advisor’s signature in each copy.
- Please complete filing and upload of the electronic file for the Thesis Upload System.
- The Department will provide the Thesis Defense Transcript with the above-mentioned documents submitted by students to the Division of Registrar of Office of Academic Affairs. Those who complete the
- For matters not prescribed in this Requirements for the Master Program, please refer to related rules and regulations of NYCU.
- These Requirements for the Master Program are approved by Academic Affairs Council before taking effect, and amendments shall be presented to the Dean of Academic Affairs according to the standard administrative procedure for review.